Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Jump Manual - Week 3 Recap of "40 at 40"

My third week of "40 at 40" dunk training didn't go so well. I tweaked my back last Tuesday morning doing overhead squats or deadlifts (not sure which one caused the injury) and as a result wasn't able to workout the rest of the week. I felt my age this past week and didn't like it one bit!

I went to the chiropractor a couple of times and that has helped but I'm still not 100% yet. I had a city league basketball game last night and was moving pretty good. But, today my lower back is really stiff again. I have another city league game tonight and will be doing a really long warm-up to see if I can get some better mobility. May not be able to jump as well, but that won't stop me from shooting 3's!

I'm taking the video camera with me tonight and will record a little if I'm able to jump at all. But, the main reason I'm bringing the camera is I have a friend in town visiting who is going to play with us and this guy is an incredible dunker. I'm hoping when I see him fly it will inspire me to do the same! Got to throw him at least 1 alley oop. It has been a very long time since I've played with anyone that you could throw an alley oop in a game so should be a lot of fun.

One thing that did go well this past week is my diet. This morning I was 169.8 which is the first time I've been under 170 in quite a while. I just hope I lost fat and not muscle due to missed workouts.

That's all for now! Thanks for following along.

10 comments:

  1. Hope you get back into it soon! Dont neglect rest though...all the best,

    Regards,

    Dave

    p.s. ill send u an email tomorrow night explaining how my first week of jump manual went!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave!

      Look forward to hearing how things are going for you.

      Delete
  2. Do you know an email I can reach Jacob at? I have a few questions and cant find an email for him. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've found the best way to reach jacob is through facebook or during his weekly coaching sessions. have you attended any of those? great opportunity to ask questions, show him videos of your exercises or jumping technique, etc.

      he posts the schedule for his weekly coaching sessions for jump manual clients here:
      https://jumpmanual.zendesk.com/entries/336890-coaching-hours-and-scheduling

      Delete
  3. i had a question about your training... are you still incorporating the freak jump technique? Are all of the the workouts for this program only 9 minutes of proper foot-work techniques or is there a weight lifting component of the program?

    P.s i had a suggestion that may help with your training... you might want to try using ankle weights or weighted vest on lite work-out days. i am on week 5 of the jump manual and i use the ankle weights on day(s) 2,3, and 5 for the jump manual

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm taking a break on the freak jump technique training. might go back to it as i think it is helpful but i just don't have the time right now. the freak jump technique workouts are only technique stuff -- no weightlifting.

      I've thought about getting a weight vest as I think that could have some nice benefits. Not too sure about ankle weights. Some of the reading I've done on them has indicated that they are not a good way to train vertical. But, if they are working for you...keep using them! That's the thing about training, is figuring out what works for you. We are all different.

      Delete
  4. No I have not attended the coaching sessions. Was going to show him a video of me attepting to dunk last August and see what suggestions he has. Thanks and when will you be posting another video of you dunking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely attend one soon and show him your video. I've learned a ton from the coaching sessions.

      I hope to post a video this week. I hurt my back about 2 weeks ago and it hasn't fully healed yet but is feeling much better.

      Delete
  5. Hope you get healed soon. Ive got a hair line fracture in my lower vertebrae so no jumpmanual for another 4 months at least. Its killing me not to play ball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks man! injuries suck! i can't imagine having to sit out for that long! hang in there bro!

      Delete