Thursday, February 16, 2012

Jump Manual - Week 4 Recap of "40 at 40"

I'm a few days late posting my Week 4 Recap of my dunk training. I don't have a ton of new things to share but do have kind of a funny story.

In my last post, I mentioned that Jacob Hiller (creator of Jump Manual) was in town visiting for a couple of weeks and so I invited him to play on my city league team. We had another game on Monday night and so had another chance to play with him.

With about 20 seconds left in our game, we had the ball at half-court and my teammate was trying to get the ball in but the defense had us covered pretty well. Just before the 5 second count, my teammate lobbed a pass to me over my head into the backcourt. I jumped as high as I could to try and get the ball. Just as I was about to get it, some guy comes out of no where and literally knocks the crap out of me and steals the ball. No joke. Picture a wide receiver getting taken out by a safety for an interception. That's about the closest thing I can compare it to.

At first, I thought it was someone on the other team and was trying to figure out why there was no whistle blown. But, as I'm falling down I realize that it's none other than Jacob Hiller who skied over me (somehow -- no idea where he even came from) and caught the ball! They fouled him immediately and he went to the line and made both free throws. We won the game. :-)

The not-so-funny part of this story is I twisted my ankle on that play as I came down really awkward from Jacob's basketball tackle. My left foot is purple around the heel on both sides just under the ankle bone. I haven't had a sprained ankle in forever!

So, while I highly recommend using the Jump Manual. Be careful about playing ball with Jacob! You are not safe even when you are on the same team! Beast!

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Love your blog, you convinced me to try the same. I'm not going to do the Jump Manual, but I have a workout of my own that I will use. I tested my verts today, so my adventure starts Monday. Both of my ankles have been surgically reconstructed, so hopefully I'm not at my peak, but I do feel your pain about the twists and sprains. Best of luck and I'll continue to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! having a blog has helped me stay motivated and it's pretty fun too. send me the link so i can follow your blog! good luck with your training!

      Delete
  2. You and me are pretty much in the same boat. I got motivated to dunk at the ripe old age of 36 (almost 38 now). I'm 5'11 but your wingspand is longer than mine. I used the jump manual first and then went to the vert freak program. Both programs are great. Currently, I am using my own program that is a hybrid between the jump manual and vertfreak. I have gained about 14" in the last 1.5 years and continue to see very moderate gains. My vert in July of last year was around 38" which was amazing for me but I haven't tested it in quite some time. Now my gains have slowed to a crawl. I would like to get my vert to 42"-45" but it might be out of reach.

    Good luck.
    Luke Chandler

    P.S. If you want your blog to be seen by literally thousands of people, then check out this website. http://www.empowernetwork.com/almostasecret.php?id=luke1213

    ReplyDelete