Monday, February 13, 2012

I played hoops with Jacob Hiller!

If you read my last post, you may remember I mentioned I was gonna be playing ball with an amazing dunker -- but I didn't say who it was. Well...that dunker was the one and only Jacob Hiller (creator of Jump Manual)!

Since starting the Jump Manual last April, I have gotten to know Jacob through his weekly online coaching sessions and facebook. He has helped me a ton by answering my questions, customizing my training, and reviewing my videos.

On a coaching session a couple of weeks ago, Jacob mentioned he was going to be in Utah for a few weeks (which is where I currently live). So, I told him he should come and play on my city league team while he was in town. I had no idea if he would be interested or not but wanted to at least invite him.

Well, last Tuesday night he played on my team and it was an absolute BLAST! I wish someone had been recording the game because there were some pretty sweet highlights. After the game was over, I filmed Jacob throwing down a couple of dunks. Unfortunately, I was exhausted after the game and my back was hurting and so I wasn't jumping very well. But, after one of Jacob's dunks the rim didn't snap back all the way and so I took advantage of the opportunity to barely put down a 2 hand dunk (rim was probably 4 inches low).

Anyways, here is a short vid of Jacob and I messing around. Thanks for reading and watching!

10 comments:

  1. Hey Andy,

    So which one of you scored more points? :)
    Jacob's jumping looks so effortless. You're not too bad yourself either!
    I am itching to get back to doing the jump manual again, but I am fighting through a jumper's knee at the moment. It feels pretty good now though as I have not done any squats etc for a few weeks. Need to get back to it carefully though.

    Keep up the good work mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...Jacob out jumps me by a long shot!!! But, I can hold my own on the court. Not sure how many points I had? But, it was around 35? I had six three's.

      Not sure how many points Jacob had? Of course it's hard for anyone else to score on my team as I'm a bit of a ball hog! :-)

      Injuries have slowed me down too these last 2 weeks. My back and then tweaked my ankle on monday...

      Hope your knee gets better! Make sure your stretching especially your IT band. When my knee is hurting, I really stretch and foam roll and helps a ton.

      Delete
  2. What kind of league do yall have? Did yall just make up a team and then yall play other teams from other towns or what? Just curious because it sounds like fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah it's a lot of fun. it's a city league. most cities have basketball leagues through their parks and recreation dept. so you just form a team and sign-up.

      jacob isn't on my team. he just happened to be in town and so i invited him to play. i'd seen him dunk on youtube but wanted to see the real thing!

      Delete
  3. How tall is Jacob and do you know what his vertical is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i believe he is around 6'3"

      not sure what his current vertical is but he dunks very easy!

      here is a video he posted on youtube in November where he got very close to getting his head to the rim

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f2NuY_dFHw&feature=channel

      Delete
  4. I watched some of his videos and he can definitly throw it down. That would be amazing if I could dunk like that and tell all my friends "told you so" What is your current standing and max vertical?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you put in the work (after your injury heals), you will be able to do it!

      haven't tested vert in a while...had injuries the last 3 weeks.

      Delete
  5. I hope you heal from your injuries as well. I measured my vert right before the back injury and I had 27" standing and 30" running. Do you know why they were so close together because many people have a much higher running vert? Hope to get released by July and put on 10" by November. Good luck training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. from what i've read, a good goal is to have your running vertical be 8-9 inches more than your standing vertical. mine has been around 6-7 inches.

      running vert is more about technique and quickness and standing vert is more about strength. so would recommend working on your quickness (plyometrics) and jump technique if you would like to get the running vert higher

      Delete