Sunday, January 8, 2012

My 40th Birthday!

If you have been following my blog, you know that my goal was to throw down a two-hand tomahawk dunk by my 40th birthday which was yesterday (Sat, Jan 7th).

On Friday night, some of my buddies pulled some pretty hilarious pranks and that was followed by a surprise party that my AWESOME wife put together. It was a great night!

On Saturday morning, I got up early for my son's basketball game and then headed down to Gold's Gym for a dunk session. I did a really thorough warm-up while listening to a custom playlist I put together on my iPod. I was getting pretty fired up and ready to thrown down some dunks.

But...unfortunately the two-hand tomahawk dunk is still on my to-do list. I've worked really hard these last several months but I'm not jumping high enough...YET.

While I'm disappointed and a little frustrated, I have to remember I've made some solid progress since last April and there are very few guys my age and height who can dunk a basketball. I've come a long ways but I'm far from satisfied. And, there is no way I'm giving up now!

I have some new exercises and other changes I'm going to make on my training moving forward. I've already been thinking a lot about it. I'm not sure what to call this next phase of training as I really liked "Operation Tomahawk". So, let me know if you have any suggestions! One idea is "40 at 40" as to do the two-hand tomahawk, I think I'm going to need a 40 inch vertical.

I'm leaning towards taking this week off. These last 2 weeks especially I have trained really hard and my body could probably use the rest. Recovery is really important and I've neglected that in favor of training harder leading up to my birthday.

Thanks for the support! Good luck with your training!

13 comments:

  1. can you dunk it consistently? because that is a huge accomplishment in and of it's own. also, one more question: at what point do you think your results started to plateau?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time You Have a Dunk Session Record It!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Candyman.
    Im from Brazil and started to read your blog last week. Man, im 31 yrs and im starting my Jump Prgogram next week. My case is very similiar than yours. Im 5'9" 171 lbs i had a good jump some years ago and im ready to improve and jump more now. So i wanna say thank you for your posts, its a good motivation for me and dont be bad about your deadline. Im sure that you can do it.

    PS.
    I gonna make a blog for brazilians who like basketball. I will send u some links later.

    Thanks

    Ian Rangel

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ seanc - i still miss a ton of dunks! just depends on the day! my standing vert has continued to increase. but, my running vert hasn't increased as quickly in the last little bit. i've missed quite a few plyo workouts during the last several weeks and that is probably the cause.

    i'm starting another round of training on monday and doing lots of things different for this phase. will be posting later this week on the details. very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ IBEUD - there will be some cool videos coming soon! might even start filming my training and posting clips of that. i've had a few people ask so thinking about it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ianrangel - thanks for the comment! i really appreciate it!

    good luck with you training and keep me posted on how things go. forward your links when you have them and i will definitely check out your blog.

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog a few weeks ago and have read all of your posts. I'm sure you'll get that tomahawk. I was thinking of a 2012 quest and your blog inspired me to do the same. Thanks for the motivation.

    http://izzysdunkquest.blogspot.com/

    Izzy

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Izzy - wow! That is so awesome! Thanks for your note and I will definitely be following your blog. You can do it man!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you know how many inches you have gained on standing and max vertical since starting the manual and also what they are now? Keep up the awesome work and you will punish the rim with the 2 hand tomahawk!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep up the hard work you will get that dunk in no time. I updated my blog with my new stats if you want to check it out. Still need about 5 inches untill I can dunk

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ High Flyer - my standing vert has gone from 22" to around 30-31" and my running vert has gone from 29" to around 35-36". for this next round of training that i start on monday, i will be able to tell you more accurately what my vert is as i'm making a homemade vertec. more details on that in an upcoming post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Witness - nice man! you are getting really strong bro. you squat more than me that's for sure! how much do you weigh again? keep workin the plyo's hard...your standing vert is legit and our running vert could be higher and those plyo's will help get you there. keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks! Yeah i think i need to also focus on my form more for my running vertical i feel i am not transferring my momentum as much as i should be. I weigh 165 + - 2.

    ReplyDelete