Sunday, October 2, 2011

Operation Tomahawk - starts tomorrow

I didn't want to post my last video. Nothing but crappy dunks or missed dunks. Watching it was frustrating and frankly kind of pissed me off. But, some good has come out of it. I'm fired up and ready to go to work.

So tomorrow, I'm starting my second round of Jump Manual training over and calling it "Operation Tomahawk". I have just a little over 12 weeks until I turn 40 in January and want to be able to throw down a two-hand tomahawk dunk before that happens. I'm estimating that I need another 4 inches on my vertical to be able to do that.

4 inches in 12 weeks? Doesn't seem like that much. But, I know this will not be easy. What am I going to do to pull this off?

First, I'm going to change a few things for this round for training. I'm going to play basketball just once a week instead of three times per week. Getting my workouts in for the last several weeks has been hard and often I've opted to play basketball instead of doing my training. I also think having a little extra rest between workouts will help.

I'm going to post a video every week (most likely Fridays) for the next 12 weeks as this really helps my motivation. Knowing I'm going to post a video each week pushes me to train harder as I want to see progress. The mostly positive comments and "likes" I've gotten on my YouTube videos have also been very rewarding and help me to keep going.

I'm also going to hold off on Freak Jump Technique training for the first 6 weeks. It doesn't take that much extra time, but it has felt a little overwhelming trying to do both jump manual and freak jump technique. I just want to focus on jump manual for these first 6 weeks and then the last 6 weeks, I'm going to add back in Freak Jump Technique.

I'm also going to make sure I get in my stretching everyday. I hate stretching and so it's easy to make excuses or procrastinate. But, the little things like this make a difference. I'm going to need every inch I can get so can't neglect flexibility anymore.

Finally, I'm going to be super strict on my diet. I've been eating too much fast food and other junk lately. No more of that nonsense. Going to get super strong and ripped during these next 12 weeks. Would like to see my weight be 165-168 lbs (I'm currently 172 - 175 lbs depending on the day) and drop my bodyfat % down as well. Not sure what it is right now but would guess around 10%? Would like to be 6% or so.

So...Operation Tomahawk. You and me. See you tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. “You cannot dream yourself into a character: you must hammer and forge yourself into one.” - Thoreau
    Hit it hard! We'll be watching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that quote man! Thanks for sharing.

    I'm definitely getting after it and confident the results will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your training! I'll be following your progress :)

    BTW what's your current vert (Standing, running?).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Antti!

    On a good day, my standing vertical is approx 29 inches and my running vertical is approx 36 inches

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry about missing some time. You're training again with determination & that's the only thing that matters.

    I completed week 4 & missed an Off Day & Upper Body Day. Measured my standing vert & it has increased from 18 3/8" (at the end of week 1) to 19 1/2" - a gain of 1 1/8".

    I was expecting more since my diet has been good & I've only missed a couple of days during my entire training. Only thing to do is keep eating well & increase workout intensity. And I'll also start stretching every day like you.

    Keep it up man, in 11 weeks you'll be throwing down 2-hand tomahawks & I'll be dunking for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the gain, Ben! Keep it up man.

    Stretching is huge especially if you are not very flexible. I think you get to a point and you just maintain for the most part. But, when I started the Jump Manual back in April, I could not touch my toes -- probably 6 inches away. Now, I can touch the floor easily.

    Look forward to hearing more about your progress!

    ReplyDelete