Monday, October 17, 2011

Operation Tomahawk - Week 2 Recap

Week 2 of Operation Tomahawk -- my 12 week plan to throw down a nasty two hand tomahawk dunk before I turn 40, has come and gone.

I got in all my workouts and started off great with my diet. But, the last couple of days I gave into some cravings (burger, cheese fries, milkshake, etc.). Sunday is my "free" day to eat whatever I want. And let's just say that Sunday came a little early this week! Oops.

My workouts went really well though. I set some personal bests on squats and deadlifts which felt great. I know I'm getting stronger. And stronger means I'm going to be jumping higher!

This morning, I played hoops and brought my video camera. My legs felt great and was really jumping well and also playing well. I didn't film very much as I was having so much fun playing. The basket felt huge and shots were falling. One of those days where you just want to play forever.

I threw down one decent dunk off the dribble and had a really nice lob attempt and was excited to see how they looked on video. But, when I got home to watch the footage those particular clips didn't get recorded somehow. So unfortunately, I don't have a video to post today. Really bummed.

I'm trying to limit playing to one or two days per week to give my body more rest. But, I may play again on Wednesday so I can get some footage.

Thanks & stay tuned!

Oh...one more thing...I'm pretty sure I can grab the rim with 2 hands off just one step now. I did a couple one step jumps and realized that I was probably high enough to do it. Can't wait to get back to the gym and find out for sure.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on another good week of training in the books. Don't worry about the missing dunk videos...I'm sure there will be plenty more oppoutunities get them on tape.

    BTW - I completed week 5 of my training last week & saw a 1 1/2 inch verticle increase from the week before. Stoked!

    Keep it up man, we gonna get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks "madhops"!

    checked out your blog. great stuff man! congrats on the gains. 1 1/2 inch in one week is fantastic. keep it going!

    have you seen Freddy J's blog?
    http://dunkby40.blogspot.com/

    Check it out if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for checking out my blog. You are the inspiration behind that. Did you notice that I linked to your blog at he bottom of the page in the menu? Hope that's OK.

    I have read Freddy J's blog. It's great that other 30-smethings are posting their jump training journey also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool! Freddy J was the inspiration behind my blog so look what he started! :-)

    i did see the link on your blog - thanks man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm - maybe I should do this. I'm a 5'9", 37 year old volleyball player and I started JumpManual 2 weeks ago. I'm admittedly taking it slow to make sure my patellar tendonitis stays under control, but will actually start to push myself hard in the next couple of weeks since my knees seem to be holding up just fine.

    I have no interest in basketball, but I sure wouldn't mind being able to dunk :) Maybe I should start a blog, too.

    Great job, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Hauser, yeah starting a blog is great for motivation; at least it has been for me. It's cool you're a volleyball & not basketball player. The important thing is increasing your vertical. Good luck with your training. Keep us posted on your results.

    I just completed week 6 & gained 3/4 inch.

    @ Candyman, I just saw your blog featured on freeverticaljumptraining.com. Jacob's giving you props!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Hauser - I agree with maphops! Having a blog is a great way to stay motivated and document your progress. I know there have been times I would have skipped a workout or not pushed myself as hard without the extra "pressure" of wanting to show some progress in a video and on my blog.

    I hurt my left knee almost 2 years ago (MCL Grade 3 tear) and was a bit concerned about Jump Manual and the workouts but strengthening the muscles has helped my knee a ton. I ice a lot which also helps. Better flexibility also helps with knee pain.

    So, I think you'll find that your knee will actually feel better even though you are working out more.

    Good luck! If you start a blog, send the link over!

    ReplyDelete