Saturday, January 14, 2012

Testing my vertical

I've been regularly attending coaching sessions with Jacob Hiller (creator of Jump Manual) to get feedback on my training. It has been really helpful and one of the biggest reasons I am a huge fan of Jacob and the Jump Manual.

As a result of the coaching combined with my own knowledge and experience, I'm going to make several changes to my workouts during this next round of training which starts on Monday. One of these changes is I will be testing my vertical every single day. Jacob has been really pushing me to do this and so I have been trying to figure out the best way to test, measure, and track my vertical.

Probably the best way to do this would be using a Vertec like you see in the NFL and NBA combines. But, those are like $600! And even if I had an extra $600, I'm pretty sure my wife would not be down with me spending that kind of money on something like that. Sometimes you have to improvise and so today I made my own vertec! Well...sort of.

Here's a little video that shows my $8 version...

6 comments:

  1. What exercises are in the jump manual?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Onain - there are tons of exercises! You do plyometrics such as depth jumps, zig zags, lunge jumps, etc. You also do strength exercises like squats, deadlifts, lunges, cleans, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks man!! Keep up the great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Onain - thanks! I'm really excited for this next round of training I'm starting tomorrow.

    Let me know if you have any other questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Andy that looks like a great idea!
    I wish I could do the same because tracking my progress accurately has been one of the hardest parts actually. Harder than going to the gym every week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Antti - so true. Jacob feels really strongly that testing vert everyday forces you to really push yourself. I was a little hesitant to do this because I was worried it could reduce motivation as some days your vert actually goes down due to soreness or whatever. But, he's the expert so am going for it!

    ReplyDelete