Sunday, November 15, 2015

Started vert training again - Week 11 (lob and dribble dunk)

Almost finished with this 12 week phase of training!

Week 11 went really well. I finally got a dribble dunk on a rim that has been taunting me for a while.  The last time I dunked on this rim off the dribble was back in September of last year. Felt great to finally get that down. Also got fairly close on some off-the-backboard dunks. I think I will get that this week.

If you saw my last post, I mentioned I started an Instagram account (@overthehilldunker) and hope you will follow me there. I plan to post there more regularly and depending on how things go, I may not post here very much. I guess the big limitation on Instagram is it's not as easy to provide detailed information like you can on a blog. We'll see how it goes.

If you've been following my blog since the early days, you may remember me mentioning a guy I play hoops with who told me I would never dunk. I had not really talked to him about that conversation we had over 4 years ago until this week. After we got done playing, I asked if he remembered the day he was mocking my dunk attempts when I had first started this quest.

He said he didn't remember saying any of those things! We had a great laugh about it. I thanked him for giving me extra motivation by telling me I couldn't do it. It actually did give me extra determination to work towards achieving my goals. There were days I wanted to give up and his words ringing in my ears was just the extra push I needed to keep going.

Another example on not giving up happened this week when I got the dunk off the dribble. I made 3-4 attempts before I got that dunk down. The first few were some of my worst attempts I've had in weeks. I got completely hung on the first attempt. The second attempt I slipped on a sweat spot on the floor and almost fell on my face. The third attempt I tried off the glass and threw it way too hard. At this point everyone is impatiently waiting on me to start the next game while I try all this stuff and so I'm feeling a bit silly at this point. They get really tired of me trying to dunk all the time. But, I had to try one more! I went for it and I got it! So glad I did. Don't give up!

Here's my Week 11 video. Follow me @overthehilldunker. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment