Saturday, June 11, 2011

For the haters and naysayers...

During the filming of my most recent vertical jump test video earlier this week, one of the players started to crack some jokes. I can't really blame him. I'll admit it is kind of funny!

He asked what I was going to do with the video. I briefly explained that I'm working really hard to improve my vertical jump (Jump Manual) and each week I film a quick video to track the progress. I also told him I fully expect to be dunking in the next few weeks. He smiled with one of those "yeah right!" smiles. To which I said, "you don't think it's possible for me to dunk"? I don't remember his exact words, but it was something like, "I've been playing ball with you for 5 years and never seen you dunk. Now you're 39 and I don't see it happening."

We'll find out soon enough if he is right or wrong. But, what he doesn't realize is that he has given me some extra motivation. And that extra motivation might be the difference. So...to all the haters and naysayers out there...THANK YOU! I look forward to proving you wrong. That will make this even more fun. :-)

5 comments:

  1. I play with a guy who yells, "Plyometrics!," every time I block a shot or sky for a big rebound. I like that my play has been forcing him to say it more and more, though! Blocked two consecutive shots by two different people, back-to-back, in one possession last week. Plyometrics, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice man! Blocking a shot is one of the coolest feelings in the world.

    How goes the training? Sounds like you're doing some ploymetrics which is great. How many days per week do you do plyo's?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm on the Jump Manual, too. I try and stick with the schedule as much as possible. I've missed about two months of upper body work, though, because of a severely jammed finger - it was so sore I couldn't grip any bars/weights. So I'm doing plyos as much as possible. I agree, though, building strength in the legs is probably the most important thing. Once the strength is there, then the plyos/twitch muscle stuff comes into play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome man! I was wondering if you were doing a specific program or not. That's a bummer on your injury - has it healed yet?

    Yep - you definitely need both (strength and reactivity/explosiveness) to jump high. I'm not a super gifted athlete by any means but I would say I have more natural quickness/reactivity vs. natural strength. So gains in strength really seem to make a difference for me. In fact, my plan right now for after finishing the jumpmanual (after taking 2-3 weeks off to rest) will be to replace the big plyo day with an extra leg weight day.

    At our age, I still feel like I can get much stronger. But, not sure how much quicker I can get though! lol

    Keep working hard man! Hope to see a picture, video, or blog post from you soon saying you touched the rim!

    ReplyDelete