Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Two Hand Dunk Training - Day 1

Yesterday, I started what might be my final 12 weeks of extremely intense, laser focused, give everything I've got -- vertical jump training. If I'm going to dunk 2 hands, it's gotta happen in the next few months! FatherTime is chasing me faster than Usain Bolt! :)

To get a baseline, I tested my no-step vertical and was surprised how much it has gone down. I did 15 no-step jumps and my highest was only a 26.8. My PR from about 2 years ago was a 31.8. So that's a huge difference. To be fair, I don't think I was completely warmed up during those jumps which definitely makes a difference. I will test again on Friday and make sure I'm more warmed up and see how different the results are.

Regardless, I expect my no-step jump to increase rapidly as I build my strength back (no-step vertical is highly related to strength). I haven't done squats, deadlifts, etc. in several months so it makes sense that my no-step vert would be down. The good news is my running vert is still pretty good. It's down some from my peak from about 1 year ago but not a ton. As my no-step vert improves that will carry over to my running vert and hopefully I'm hitting new PR's and the elusive 2 hand dunk!

I do have video of my 15 jumps but am going to hold off posting to see how Friday goes. I kind of hate posting since it was so crappy. But, I will post something by end of the week.

6 comments:

  1. Dude, keep up the training. Right now, I can grab the rim with two hands and can get most of one hand above the rim. I need to lose a little bit of weight before I can dunk again. Unfortunately, my wife is a great cook....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! sucks that eating right is such a big part of this! i've lost 8 lbs and want to lose another 10.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Ha - not that exciting! Gotta get my vert back up!

      Delete
  3. Keep going, man! I don't remember when I bookmarked your blogs ( at least 1.5 year ago, maybe the time when I started to do my Jump Manual I did some research), I wish you could achieve your goal this year. I'm currently trying to rehab from torn meniscus, can't jump right now, not even running yet, and I haven't been playing basketball for quite a long time. I suffered from the knee and ankle sprain in the past 3 years. You know, just injured-back( not really recovered) - improved vert - injured again. This cycle kills me sometimes. But this time I'm determined to treat my condition more carefully, not doing stupid things, make sure the knee is really ready and then slowly progress to get back to jump! :D
    Anyway, your blogs is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - glad you find it motivational. It's helped me stay motivated and accountable to my goals as well.

      Sorry to hear about your injuries. That is some really bad luck. I wish you well on your recovery!

      Delete