Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Jump Manual - 41 years old - Week 10 Results

Week 10 of Jump Manual training was kind of mediocre.

So, here's where I make excuses....

My brother and his wife and kids came to town (which was awesome) to ski and hang out. As a result, my wife made a plethora (jefe...do you know what a plethora is?) of yummy food which I ate way too much of. There was also extra junk food around the house since we had guests and my will power just sucks. The day they arrived my weight was the lowest it had been in a while (175 lbs) and when they left it was back up to 178 lbs. I also missed a workout and didn't stretch very much. Dang!

On the positive side, my brother's wife is an athletic trainer and so we talked at length about vertical jump training, strength training, etc. She really knows her stuff and gave me some great advice. She is a big believer in doing exercises that as closely mirror the athletic movement as possible. So for example, she said I should be doing more 1 leg exercises as you do a lot of jumping off 1 leg in basketball. She also suggested doing squats, lunges, etc with your feet in the same placement as when you jump (which would actually be somewhat of a staggered stance at least for me when I jump off 2 feet). So I will be trying to incorporate some of her suggestions and am curious to see how they impact my results.

No video this week. Sorry about that. Will make sure I get one next week.

Only 2 weeks left!!!

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! Always makes me feel good to hear that my blog has helped someone.

      I have seen that calculator and I do think its interesting and fairly accurate.

      Sounds like you have decent strength based on your squat and bench press. I would focus on continuing to get stronger but probably work more on your plyometrics and getting a bit leaner.

      If you start a blog, send the link over so I can follow along! Good luck!

      Delete
    2. I'd love to hear how you incorporate jump training into a very busy schedule while you get through medical school. I'm older with a large family and have difficulty find enough time for both exercising and resting.
      Good luck with your efforts. To help motivate you, my highest vertical leap came when I was 28 years old. Also, you were smart to look up Candyman's blog; he knows what he's talking about.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. definitely not too old! the highest i ever jumped was when i was 29 years old (i'm hoping to beat that soon!)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! Hoping to get that 2 hand by April 11th!

      Delete