Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Jump Manual - 41 years old - Week 11 Results

Week 11 of my Jump Manual training went better than last week.

I took my sister-in-law's advice to incorporate some additional 1 leg exercises into my workouts such as lunges (stopped doing these a while ago), bulgarian squats (new exercise for me), single leg glute bridges (have done these off and on), and reverse hyperextensions (new exercise for me). It felt really good.

I have already been doing pistol squats (1 leg squats) fairly regularly and will continue doing them. I think pistol squats might be the single best exercise out there for improving your vertical as well as preventing injuries. When I finish this round of training, I am considering going to an extremely simple routine that would heavily focus on pistol squats and other mostly bodyweight exercises and plyometrics. In about 2 weeks, I will start training with my 13 year old son everyday and so time for my own personal training will be very limited. I'm actually excited about it because I think I can still make some really nice gains while actually training less. More details on that later. My son and I will also be making videos to track his progress and so that will also be fun.

Speaking of my son's training, he's at a camp this week with Micah Lancaster, who is one of the top basketball trainers out there. So wish I had access to this caliber of training growing up. Things have changed so much. When I was growing up, many coaches and trainers discouraged basketball players from lifting weights. "It will mess up your shot!" This partly explains why I weighed in at a hefty 140 lbs as a 5'11" senior.

If you don't strength train now, you simply won't be able to compete in today's game. The level of strength and athleticism is just unreal. A few weeks ago, my son played in a basketball tournament that featured some of the best 6th, 7th, and 8th grade basketball teams in the country. I'm not kidding when I tell you there were 7th grade teams that looked like high school varsity teams in skill, strength, size, athletic ability, and talent. They even had a dunk contest. Absolutely blew my mind. Doubt I could even touch the net when I was in 7th grade! Last year's dunk contest at this same tourney might have been even better.

Going to finish this last week really strong! Eating right, stretching, and getting after it for all my workouts. I'm planning to get a dunk video posted this week and then a video next week hopefully featuring a two hand dunk!

Happy "Spring"!

17 comments:

  1. looking forward to seeing videos. I think it would really be cool to see your sons progress as well. Goodluck on that 2 hand dunk! I haven't been doing any weight lifting. Being a senior im just too busy with scholarship stuff and all that for graduation. BUT, I have been jumping and doing dunks at 9'6 that I've never been able to do before such as dunks off the bounce. I actually got a dunk off the bounce at 9'10 last night but of course didnt get it filmed. Also, im dunking 9'10 off of 2 feet taking about 4 steps so thats pretty good. Seem to be jumping higher just by going out and jumping regularly. Anyways, sorry for the long story of mine but goodluck man!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did pretty good. We got 2nd place in district but the team that got first made it all the way to the state tournament. I was the 6th man on the team but was the 3rd leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nice man! way to go! what are your plans for college?

      Delete
  3. Im planning on going but im not sure yet what I want to major in. I really like hunting and the outdoors so I might try to be a Game Warden. Not planning on playing any kind of college basketball though. I will continue to try and dunk though!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nice man! very smart to study something you love and have a passion for. good luck!

      Delete
  4. Yes I agree. I want to do something I enjoy and not hate my job. I'm going to try and get a video posted on my blog before too long. I know it's been awhile but I'll try and get some dunks at 9'10.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Candyman, what is your estimate on your vert with steps these days? We're about the same height, though I believe your arms are longer than mine. Just curious as to what my goal should be. Thanks for all the encouragement, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i would love to get some new shoes with the nike+ so i can test it. the jump mat i have is not very good for running jumps because it's hard to land on the mat off the run. but, my guess on a really good day would be 36-37"

      Delete
  6. I've never written you before, but you've been an inspiration to me ever since I began viewing your blog well over a year ago.
    I just finished reading Dara Torres' book; in case you don't know who she is, she's an Olympic swimmer who got better as she got older. In fact, she was faster at 41 than she was at anytime before. And this by training less than she ever had. Great read (Age is Just a Number) and definitely inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow - cool! Thanks man!

      That books sounds really interesting. I'll have to check it out. I definitely agree that age is just a number and a convenient excuse for many people. Drives me nuts when people say, "i'm too old". Especially when they are like 30. makes me laugh!

      Delete
  7. I finally used my nike+ with my hyperdunks today. The stats make me more motivated. How's your training going? how much are you squatting now? and standing vert?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh man! awesome! i'm jealous. i'm thinking very seriously about getting some. it's about time to get new shoes anyways so may just have to do it.

      i finished my 12 weeks of training on saturday and feeling good. i'm trying to rest up this week and then see what i can do on thursday (my 2 year training anniversary).

      i haven't maxed out on squats in a long time so not sure. i've been doing lighter weight on squats and focusing on being really explosive. i feel like its been helping me. i think you need to do both...a phase where you go really heavy and then a phase where you go lighter and focus on speed/explosiveness. the problem with really heavy weight is your moving so slowly.

      i will test my standing vert on thursday. i'm confident it will be at least 31". My PR so far are on the jump mat is 30.8".

      Delete
  8. I posted my video if you want to take a look

    ReplyDelete