Saturday, April 13, 2013

Jump Manual - 41 years old - 12 week results

I have completed another 12 weeks of Jump Manual training!

I was really hoping to have a video of me dunking 2 hands this week but I'm not quite there. But, I am getting closer. I am back to where I was in the Fall of 2011 and might even be jumping a little higher. What's even more encouraging to me is I have seen some gains in the last 2 weeks as I've started focusing more on single leg work and being explosive with lighter weights rather than always lifting super heavy.

I actually think if I rest for a few days (like I was supposed to do this week) that I can get a two hand dunk off a lob or maybe even the dribble. I intended to take it easy this week so that on Thursday I would be fully rested but instead I played basketball six times this week and also worked out 4 times.

Tomorrow, I go out of town until Thursday and so it will be much easier for me to take a bit of a break. The trick will be eating right and stretching. If I do that, I fully expect to get a two hand dunk on Thu or Fri of next week.

Regardless, some really good things happened during this phase of training.

1. Bench pressed 225 lbs for the second time in my life. Started having issues with my right shoulder so I stopped benching. Not sure if I will go back to it or not.

2. Got a new PR for my no-step vertical jump of 31.1 (see video below). My previous best was 30.8. I am going to test again on Thu or Fri of next week and fully expect to get 32" or better after having some actual rest/recovery.

3. Feel like I've figured out some better ways to train. I've become a big believer in single leg exercises and has me feeling really confident in my training.

Below are a couple of videos from this week. Stay tuned for a blog post and hopefully awesome dunk video next week! Also, I will give an update on what I'm doing for my next phase of training...no, I'm not stopping! :-)




17 comments:

  1. You played 6 times! You're more of a fiend than I am! jk. Seriously, you truly are an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha! yep i'm a basketball addict! good thing this addiction is healthy!

      Delete
  2. Good luck on that 2 hander. With some rest maybe it will go for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out my newest video please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am fully expecting a video featuring a 2-handed dunk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I'm from Argentina, and yesterday i started the Jump Manual, i'm 5 11 too and i'm 19 years old.
    In one leg jump i'm about 3.5 inches away from touch the rim.
    I'm more one leg jumper, you think it will work to me?
    Thank you, and sorry for my english ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes if you do the workouts I think you will get very good results.

      Delete
  6. Hey. I have a question. first of all u are great inspiration for every athlete out ther. Now that we got that cleared,now to the business. I have Jump Manual I will start it tomorrow,my schedule will be thisl;
    1.day Jump Manual Plyo Day
    2.rest ( streching+core)
    3. 5`5 dunker (4 exercises on single leg) +sprints and stuff.
    4.rest (streching+core)
    5.JumpManual Weight training day
    6.rest Core+strech
    7.rest Core+strech

    Im single leg jumper,and I want to know your opinion on that 3d day what single leg exercises should I add,also to avoid overtraining... :) Thanks. I woud be grateful if u response to my e-mail mellers.ingus@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks man! Very excited for you!

      I like the routine you have organized. Be consistent and you will see great results!

      My favorite single leg exercises are:

      Pistol squats
      Lunges
      Bulgarian squats
      Step-ups

      Delete
  7. Also check out my blog. You inspired me.
    http://dojumpmanual.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow! you can already dunk! and even with opposite hand from the one leg jump. very curious to see your results!

      Delete
  8. Will you be posting again soon? Also, checkout my newest post and video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep! took a little time off and been traveling some but will post and update in the next few days.

      going to check out your new vid and blog post now

      Delete