Monday, December 3, 2012

Getting stronger...and fatter!

If you have read my last few posts, you know that I've modified my training a bit to focus on getting stronger. The good news is it's working! On Saturday, I benched 190 lbs 3 times. The last time I maxed out on bench, I barely got up 185 lbs so things are moving in the right direction. I am also making gains on squats and deadlifts. I should hit new PR's on those lifts in the next few weeks.

The bad news is that I'm gaining weight! And, I'm sure its not all muscle! :-) This morning I weighed 180 lbs which is the most I have weighed in quite a while. I haven't been eating as healthy and I've also reduced the plyometrics I was doing which means I've been burning fewer calories. I'm taking creatine and that always results in some weight gain too.

So, I got to keep getting stronger but must keep my bodyfat % under control. In fact, I need to drop it. This time of year is not easy (for someone like me who loves junk food) to have self control. But, I will make myself do it. Right after I eat this donut...

Train Hard!

3 comments:

  1. I've gained a lot of weight while taking creatine; I've put on a good 15 pounds. It's hard to want to stop since I like being a lot stronger and having a lot more muscle on me since. However, my vertical hasn't made the gains that I hoped for. I'm thinking of stopping creatine for a month to see if I can still make strength gains and show more improvement in my vertical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow 15 lbs! How's your diet? I've got to do better on mine and get bodyfat down under 10%. Gonna go get tested again down at BYU soon. I should schedule it so that I have more motivation to eat good!

      Hope your gains pick up on your vert! Keep going!

      Delete
    2. I eat about the same amount that I always have. I hardly eat fast food anymore and I drink a lot of water.

      Delete