Wednesday, December 19, 2012

PR's on lifts coming soon!

I'm continuing to really focus on strength and making some good progress. This morning I benched 195 lbs for 5 reps. I plan to beat my PR (225 lbs for 3 reps) by end of January.

For squats, I did 240 lbs for 5 reps this morning and should beat my PR (275 lbs) also by end of January. In addition, I'm now squatting to a little below parallel and certainly didn't get to parallel on what I've been calling my squat PR. Here's the video that proves it:



Of course, the real key is to translate this additional strength into jumping higher. I'm going to start adding plyometric and jumping technique back into my training soon and am confident this will allow me to utilize this additional strength and as a result pick up some inches.

Happy Holidays! May all your jumping dreams come true!


3 comments:

  1. Keep it up!
    Are you playing in any rec leagues this season?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not right now which i can't believe as i usually play on 2-3 teams each season. i would love to play but my 12 year old son is playing on 3 teams and has a game or practice almost every day of the week. i don't want to have to choose between his games and practices or playing in my game. so it's easier for me to not play.

      but...i may play in a game here and there with some teams i've played with in the past when they need an extra guy...

      how's your team doing? have you noticed any difference in your game from doing the jump manual?

      Delete
  2. I don't know. I'm not jumping as well as would like to and I also feel like I'm running more slowly. Of course, I've also put on a lot of weight with my weightlifting routines. It's weird: I can jump to the fifth step on my stairs without difficulty, but my legs feel like lead when I try jumping on the court. I think I just need to take a break and let my legs and brain get some rest inbetween games.
    I know what you mean when it comes to my kids games and my own games. As much fun as it is to play b-ball, it's more fun to watch them play.

    ReplyDelete