Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Tomahawk before Thanksgiving - Weeks 10-11

Tomorrow (Thanksgiving) is my most recent deadline to throw down a 2 hand tomahawk dunk!

Now, I definitely believe in thinking positively and believing in yourself! But, the laws of gravity and physics still have to be overcome! And the unfortunate reality is I still have a ways to go to achieve this goal. With that said, I am playing hoops in the morning and will have my camera with me just in case it does become the best Thanksgiving Day ever! :-)

I've been thinking a lot lately about the basics in terms of vertical jump training. To increase your vertical, one or more of the following must happen:

- get stronger
- get more explosive/quick/springy
- improve your technique/form

Of these 3 key ways to improve the vertical jump, I feel I have the most room for improvement with strength.  So, that's where I'm really focusing right now. I have modified my workouts by reducing plyometric work and increasing the frequency of strength training. I also started taking creatine two weeks ago and am noticing a difference. In the last 2 weeks, I've gotten a little bit stronger, my lifts are increasing, and it's only a matter of time until that carries over to my jumping.

I'm going to continue this new routine for the next 10 weeks and have set the following goals:

- Squat: 300 lbs
- Bench: 225 lbs
- Deadlift: 325 lbs
- Bodyweight: 168 lbs
- Bodyfat: 10%

I believe these are the minimum levels of strength I've got to obtain in order to throw down two hand tomahawk dunks. And there are tons of other benefits to getting stronger too. But, dunking is my favorite!

Speaking of dunking, you've got to watch this video of Gerald Green. I've never seen anyone get their head this high above a rim. And, this is at the Pacers practice facility so should be a legit 10 foot rim. Even his teammates are freaking out.



Hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

-Andy

13 comments:

  1. hah! not gonna lie, i bought some nike shorts and socks a few weeks ago and left one pair of elites unopened b/c i thought you were gonna 2 hand tomahawk by turkey day. But it seems i have some life left!

    Maybe I should just open the package for extra motivation in winning the dunk bet. That way there's no turning back! (kinda)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha! i appreciate your confidence in me! but, yeah you still have some time bro. but, don't wait too long or those elites will be mine!

      how's your progress?

      Delete
    2. ugh, not good. I've been getting my knuckles over the rim for awhile now, but I can't seem to make the 'leap'. I'm only squatting 195 four times so I need to increase that by about a hundred pounds.

      Delete
    3. how often do you lift? are you doing the jump manual or another program? i can't remember...

      Delete
    4. I squat and deadlift maybe every four days. I haven't been using any program cuz honestly isn't it just squat + plyo = dunk? But it's hard to argue against programs looking at your results, so I am coming around to the idea of using a program.

      I think my real problem is that I haven't been logging my results. It's kinda awkward for me to make a post cuz I always think I should write a lot, so I end up writing nothing.

      To that end, I've been making a web app that focuses on logging dunk workouts and charts your progress. Hopefully I can get it up and running by tomorrow and get your feedback on it.

      Delete
    5. To me, the biggest benefit of a program isn't so much there is like secret exercises and things like that, it's simply having a plan and sticking to it. Training consistently and pushing yourself is huge and having a program can make that a bit easier instead of just showing up at the gym and doing some random lifts or exercises.

      Tracking is also huge. Beyond "beginner gains", I don't think you get results without tracking.

      That web app sounds sweet. Would love to check it out. Are you a programmer or something?

      Delete
    6. I completely agree. Having a program disciplines you in a way that is difficult to do alone.

      Yea, I'm a web developer. I thought this would be a good opportunity to tinker around with new web frameworks. I'm almost done but I gotta think of a good name! This is gonna sound super corny, but I was thinking it should be like a fake dunking fraternity, like phi slama jama. Except that domain is taken, so maybe delta slama jama.

      If anyone can think of a better name, I'll definitely use it!

      Delete
  2. Just for fun I did some basic math on the Gerald Green video. He is listed at 6'8" (80"). A regulation hoop would be 10' (120") Say he got his head about 10" over the rim 80"-10"=70". 120"-70"=50" So I would say his veritcal is just over 50"

    That's insane for a 6'8" guy.

    Keep at it, I'm sure you are getting close. I want more videos! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gerald Green is absolutely crazy. If you haven't seen this video, you got to watch it too. One of the best in game dunks ever:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LipvtaK41mw&feature=fvst

      Can you imagine how different the game would be to play if you could get your head above the rim? It's just insane!

      Delete
  3. Don't lose hope, dude. You've already proven that an old guy can dunk a ball, so a two-handed tomahawk is not unrealistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - I still believe! Just taking longer than I thought and hoped it would!

      Which league are you playing city league ball?

      Delete
    2. American Fork. I missed tonight's game and we ended up playing Jackson Emery's team. I don't know how we did, but I would've liked to have been on the court trying my best against him.

      Delete
    3. Awesome! I've loved to play against Emery! That dude has hops!

      Delete