Friday, August 3, 2012

Jump Manual at 40 years old - Week 11 Results

Sorry folks! I'm very late posting my Week 11 Results. I guess I haven't been super anxious to update my blog as this past week was not super great from a training standpoint. I was on the road again (for the 3rd straight week) and that makes things really tough for me to get all my workouts in.

Probably the best thing that happened this past week is I had the coolest and most realistic dream I can remember in quite some time. I dreamed I got my 2 hand dunk! And it was so real and felt so good. I am a firm believer that you have to believe you can do something before you can do it. If you don't believe you can dunk, can pretty much guarantee that will be a self-fulfilling prophecy. You've got to believe it! Really believe it!

Along those lines, one thing I've been doing more is visualizing myself dunking two hands during the strength and explosion workout. I especially like to visualize that for calf raises and knee drives. It doesn't require much skill or thought to perform those exercises, so its easy to really picture dunking in my mind while trying to be as explosive as possible. Maybe it sounds a little corny, but I think it helps.

Well...that's about all for now....

Oh, be sure to check out these blogs created by some new friends of mine who are chasing their dunking dreams and start following their progress too! Knowing that a few other people have been inspired to go after their goals after reading my blog makes me feel really good and motivates me to keep working hard. So thanks to everyone out there who is reading this blog and especially to those who have posted comments, asked questions, started their own blog, or whatever. I really appreciate it!

DunkQuest2012
Quest to dunk by November

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out man!! I also agree with you that you have to believe you can do something in order to do it. For me its also a big help when there is a few friends with me. I think that is why I can jump better at the outdoor court because there are people watching me. Typically at the gym I am alone and dont have that adrenaline to give me those couple of inches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep - I'm the same way. I love playing in a really intense game against great competition. Gets the adrenaline flowing!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, thanks for the shout out. I agree with you too. The confidence seems to matter so much. Can't tell you how many youtube videos I've watched people miss dunk after dunk even though they are high enough, but when they get first one down they are able to start getting them more consistently because they know they can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. confidence is huge! hey, i saw on your profile you are in utah? what city?

      Delete
    2. I live in Eagle Mountain, Work in Orem.

      Delete
    3. No way! I live in American Fork! We got to play some ball sometime!

      When you start dunking, let's make a dunk video!

      Delete
    4. Yeah, sounds cool. I would definitely do both of those. Though I'm still not feeling confident about my jumping. For some reason my measurements are higher, but when I test at a rim I am actually getting lower... I'll get there soon enough.

      Delete
    5. Oh, and I totally want to play with the just jump system! HAHA

      Delete