Monday, July 23, 2012

Jump Manual at 40 years old - Week 10 Results

Week 10 of my vertical jump training using the Jump Manual started out great. But, then I went out of town for 3 days to go camping and didn't workout at all! I was fully planning to do the off-day exercises on Wednesday & Friday and my core & upper body workout on Thursday (like I normally do each week) as these are workouts that can be done just about anywhere. But, I didn't do it.

On the bright side, the strength & explosion workout (squats, deadlifts, cleans, etc.) that I do each Saturday did go well. I was able to increase the weights on squats and knee drives. What seemed crazy though is the workout seemed so much harder than it did the week before. Probably because I hadn't done anything for the last 3 days!  Also, not getting much sleep or eating well on my camping trip didn't help. About 1/3 of the way through the workout, I seriously considered calling it a day. So glad I didn't! This week is also going to be tough as I'm out of town for 4 days. Got to do better.

This morning I decided to play basketball since I hadn't played in like 10 days and was really missing it. I felt a little sore from Saturday's workout but not too bad. I did some depth jumps in between games and was able to beat my previous best of 29.1" (shown in my Week 8 video) with 30.8". However, I was jumping off an 18" chair as compared to a 12" step in my last test. So that probably explains some of the increase as I should be able to jump higher off the chair than the step.

Here's the video from today:




9 comments:

  1. How many protein shakes a day do you drink? I have just been drinking one after workout with 23g of protein. Scott with the jump manual team recommended that I drink 3 a day and said 1 would not do a lot. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually just one. I have a green smoothie (with protein powder added) in the morning after I workout.

      The truth is you don't NEED to drink any protein shakes. But you do NEED to get enough protein. Protein shakes are just a convenient way to get it fast. But, you could just as easily get it from food.

      Delete
    2. I thought 3 sounded a little much. Thanks man!

      Delete
    3. many people say you should have 1 gram of protein for every lb you weigh. so if you weigh 150 lbs, you should eat 150 grams of protein per day. i'm not sure if that is true but pretty common belief out there.

      protein shakes are just an easy way to get your protein. you could absolutely do it from food. just figure out what works best for you. personally, i like a combination of shakes and healthy meals.

      Delete
    4. I have heard that too about getting 1 gram of protein for every pound. I read back through your blog when you were doing the jump manual the first time. I think I am going to do like you did and drink a shake after workout and then right before bed.

      Delete
  2. Just thought I would let you know that you have really inspired me to get the Jump Manual. I have been eyeing it for a couple years now and finally got the courage to do it. I also started my own blog as well. http://dunkquest2012.blogspot.com/

    Read through your entire blog, very inspiring to see the nice gains you have made. Keep up the hard work and you should be throwing it down with 2 hands soon enough. Keep us updated, I check all the time. No update is too small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's so cool! Thanks so much man. It's comments like these that keep me posting on this blog and working on my vert. Thanks for visiting and letting me know.

      Just checked out your blog and subscribed to your YouTube channel. Can't wait to see you dunking!!!

      thanks again!

      Delete
  3. Hey been following you for awhile now and had a question for you. Do you do the depth jumps in between sets like it says in the manual? I dont really see the point and I think all it accomplishes is giving you less energy to do the next workout. Just wanted your opinion. Thanks and I cant wait to see that 2 handed dunk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following my blog!

      Yes, I do 2 depth jumps after every other set during the strength and explosion workout. I thought it seemed silly when I originally started the jump manual, but I think they are really important. They shouldn't be take much energy away - just 2 jumps every other set.

      Delete