Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Jump Manual at 40 years old - Week 8 Results

During the last seven weeks of my Jump Manual training, I have been able to "re-gain" most of the gains I made to my no-step vertical last year. However, I'm definitely not jumping as high off the run. I've been thinking a lot about this and believe this is due to overtraining or as Jacob likes to call it "under recovery".

These last seven weeks instead of doing 1 plyometric workout and 1 strength workout separated by several days as outlined in the Jump Manual, I decided to experiment with shorter workouts but more often. So, I was lifting legs 2 times per week and doing short plyometric workouts 3 times per week. But, I don't think this is the right approach for me. My body just needs more rest and recovery time.

So, I'm going back to the standard Jump Manual schedule of 1 plyometric workout and 1 leg workout per week separated by 3-4 days. I'm also going to only play basketball 1 time per week to allow myself even more time to rest as compared to what I was previously doing.

I'm confident this will get things back on track. In hindsight, I should have just stuck with the standard Jump Manual workout schedule. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Today, I did the standard plyometric workout and used the Just Jump system for the first time during a plyo workout. It was so awesome to have immediate feedback on how I was performing. I used it during depth jumps, medicine ball approaches, rim jumps, and weighted explosions. Now, I will be able to more accurately track my progress and push myself to the max during each workout. I also expect this to speed up my results.

I'm really motivated again and can't wait to see where I'm at during the next several weeks! 

Here's a clip of my best depth jump today which was only 29.1 inches. I was disappointed that I wasn't getting more like 33-34 inches but expect to be there very soon. Thanks for reading!


14 comments:

  1. Maybe your were not getting enough rest like you said. Now that your back to the original routine maybe those gains will be right back. Good luck training this week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks man! i definitely think it will make a difference. but, will find out soon enough!

      Delete
    2. I was looking back when you were doing the jump manual the first time. You gained 5" in 7 weeks which is awesome! Hoping I can gain 4-5" after I have done 7 weeks. Got a little extra motivation when I saw my friend dunk for the first time the other day. He is 6'4 though so he should be dunking!!! haha Got to catch him and then pass him up!

      Delete
    3. Thanks man!! All encouragement helps

      Delete
  2. As far as creatine goes, when do you take it? I have some creatine but didn't know when I shoul take it? Everyday or only on workout days or what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. here's a great video from jacob on that very subject

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtNS_mKVzkQ&feature=plcp

      Delete
    2. I watched the video, thanks man! Do you drink it with a fruit drink like it says? If so what kind of fruit drink? I have been taking it before workout because it says to do so on the jar.

      Delete
    3. yes, i take it with grape juice, gatorade, lemonade, etc. just something that has sugar in it as it's supposed to help you digest it better.

      Delete
    4. Ok cool man. Do you take it everyday? The video did not say about what days to take it.

      Delete
    5. i take it for a few weeks every day and then stop for a while and then go back on it. i've talked with jacob about this and he doesn't recommend cycling it but that is what i have done and has worked out fine for me.

      let me know how it goes!

      Delete
    6. Ok thanks! I was going to video today but I was jumpin terrible!!! Way lower than last week!! Might try again tonight or tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Good job experimenting and continuing on your pursuit. I've been kind of slacking in my personal journey, but still continuing to progress despite the less-than-ideal work ethic in Vertical Jump Training. I still workout a lot, but my vertical has been taking a backseat at times. Yet, I still improved 2 inches in my no-step and 1-step last month! Your blog serves as a contributing motivator. Keep the updates coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nice! 2 inches in one month is fantastic! keep it up!

      Delete