Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Jump Manual - Week 11 Recap of "40 at 40"

Week 11 of this phase of Jump Manual training went pretty well. I got in all my workouts and am starting to see some progress again particularly with plyometrics. I can tell because I track how high I'm touching for depth jumps and did better than the previous couple of weeks.

Improving my vertical jump during this basketball season proved to be much harder than I anticipated and believe I fell for one of the most common vertical jump training mistakes -- overtraining! I'm always trying to push myself ("no pain, no gain") and yet that is not the best approach for vertical jump training. The body has to rest and your muscles actually get stronger during recovery. No recovery = no additional strength!

Had I not played on 2 city league teams, I think I would have seen more increase with my vertical jump during these last few months. But, basketball is the reason I do this! I want to continue to compete at a high level and this training has made that possible. So, no regrets!

Basketball season is over and now I'm going to train smarter. Not harder! And, for me I think it will make a huge difference.

Thanks for reading and I hope your training is going well!

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME BRO! KEEP IT UP! My Ankle is getting better by the day I'm getting Therapy from a friend for free which is a Big Plus! I think that by the end of this week Ill be ready to start shooting around and doing some physical work. hopefully by the middle of April Ill be able to start doing my Vertical Training Again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! Keep that therapy going so you can get back at it!

      Delete