Sunday, April 15, 2012

Are You Getting Stronger?

The other day Jacob Hiller (creator of Jump Manual) asked me, "are you getting stronger?" I couldn't confidently answer yes or no because I hadn't tested my max on lifts in a really long time.

So, yesterday I decided to max out on squats, deadlifts, hang cleans, bench press, and pullups. I'll repeat this test again following my next round of training to see how much I've improved.

Here were the results: 
  • Squat: 275 lbs 
    I'm going to count this as my new PR even though I probably should have gotten a little lower for it to be a true squat. I've been working on my flexibility and technique and it's helping but getting low is really challenging for me. Even when I do much lighter weight I have a hard time getting down to parallel. Here's a video if you want to check it out.



    • Deadlift: 273 lbs
    I'm pretty sure this is a new PR for me as I don't remember lifting more than this and looking back at my tracking sheets, I couldn't find anything higher. Here's the video:




    • Hang Cleans: 165 lbs
    This is not a PR for me. I've done 170 lbs for 4 reps before. My right wrist was hurting and I was probably a little fatigued from doing squats and deadlifts so I still feel pretty good about getting 165 lbs. I don't have a video for this one.

    • Bench Press: 185 lbs
    This is really embarrassing! I don't bench anymore so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I know about 12 years ago my best ever on bench press was 225 lbs x 3 reps. I've clearly lost a lot of upper body strength since then and I've definitely got to hit my upper body harder. This is why you need to evaluate your strength and see where you need work. I don't have a video of this and wouldn't show it to you if I did! :-)

    • Pullups: 1 rep with 50 lb weight
    I thought about testing how many total pullups I could do but figured that has more to do with endurance and I was already pretty tired by this point. I thought a better test would be to see how much extra weight I could do for 1 rep. I started with a 30 lb dumbbell between my knees and did it easy. Went up to a 40 lb dumbbell and was still able to complete. I then went for 50 lbs and barely got 1 full rep so that will be my new PR. I have never maxed out on this before. Very curious to see how high I can go on this in the future. No video for this one either.

    So since Jacob asked me...now I will ask you! Are you getting stronger? How do you know? Can you prove it? What are your 1 rep max lifts? If you don't know, time to get in the gym and find out. Tracking is critical to your success!

    7 comments:

    1. Hey,

      I am 15 years old, with a 7'11 reach. How high do i have to jump to dunk? What is the easiest dunk? One hand dunk? I have a 29 inch standing vertical right now and a 32.5 running vertical, if that helps.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. If you can palm the ball, you could probably do a 1 hand dunk by getting 5 inches over the rim which would mean a vertical jump of 30 inches (125 inches - 95 inches = 30 inches).

        If you can't palm the ball, you will probably need like 7 inches over the rim which would be a vertical jump of 32 inches (127 inches - 95 inches = 32 inches).

        So assuming you do have a 32.5 inch vertical you should be able to get a 1 hand dunk down especially if you can palm the ball. Of course, adding the ball makes it more difficult to jump so you may need to practice and work on your technique. Some guys lose like 4 inches or more on their jump when they have the ball in their hands.

        Delete
      2. Are you talking about an alley-oop needing 5-7 inches over the rim? Because I was talking about running with teh ball in your hands and dunking. Do you know how many inches that would need. Btw, good luck with your current dunking goals!!!

        Delete
    2. Are you talking about an alley-oop needing 5-7 inches over the rim? Because I was talking about running with teh ball in your hands and dunking. Do you know how many inches that would need. Btw, good luck with your current dunking goals!!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes - that's how high (minimum) you would need to jump off the dribble or running with the ball to be able to dunk with 1 hand.

        If someone tosses the ball up for you and you catch it at the right time, you could dunk with just like 5 inches over the rim -- same as what I said if you can't palm the ball.

        Delete
    3. Also, should you do ass to grass squats or parallel squats. Is a hack squat machine ok? Thanks

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That is a great question!

        I'm not an expert, but here's my opinion.

        First, I definitely think you should do free weights over a hack squat machine or smith machine. No comparision there.

        In terms of depth, I think most of your squats should be down to parallel or below. Going low activates the glutes and requires good flexibility. I'm still working on it! But, going low will build strength in the full range of motion.

        I also think it's helpful to do some 1/2 and 1/4 squats with very heavy weight occasionally. For me, I'm trying to go up weight and lifting the heavier weight I feel is helping prepare my body to someday be able to go down to parallel with that higher weight.

        Also, the 1/4 squat more closely matches the depth you go for a vertical jump and so I do think there is some benefit there.

        This is a good example of where tracking your workouts and your weights are really important. Figure out what works for you and go for it. Not everyone will be the same.

        Hope that helps!

        Delete