Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Road to 40 inch running vert - Week 3 Results

Another good week of training despite spraining my left ankle playing hoops (luckily not a bad sprain). The "cool" part was I did it blocking a guy's shot. But, there was some contact in the air and got off-balance and landed wrong. It's still a bit swollen and I need to do a better job icing it.

Last week was also kind of crazy because my oldest son was trying out for 2 competitive basketball teams and I probably get more stressed out than he does. But, he did great and is so fun to see his hard work pay off!

My best no-step vert was down this week almost an inch. I got 29.5 compared to 30.4 last week. I attribute that to having a bad day, some soreness, and my sprained ankle.


No-step vert test results so far:
I also did the 4 jump test again. My best of 3 attempts was:

.24 (ground contact time)
2.91 (explosive leg power)
23.4 (avg vertical for the 4 jumps)

Ground contact time (.24) is same as last week.
Explosive leg power (2.91) is down from last week's 2.99.
Average vertical for the 4 jumps (23.4) is down from last week's 25.6.

This kind of shows I just had no "bounce" this day which also helps explain my no-step vert being down. Just one of those days. Next week will be better!

2 comments:

  1. I hate thouse days, when you need your vert to be crazy and you feel lazy and kind a tired. For me Ice cold shower helps. :) For your post, dude nice job. And you have some years on your body, keep grinding it`s pretty impresive to be at your age and have such a vertical explosion, but I think you can reach 40`` and throw down some sick dunks. For me I have noticed huge improvement for past couple of months basicaly, because I made up my mind to train, I think you and I had same problem I used to play too much basketball that hurt my progress, and I ended up deciding that playing bball makes me happy so I will just play bball 3-4 times per week and try to do little stuff( core streching hips) to increase my hoops. But sadly after every bball day I realized that im unhappy because I want to be that guy who dunks and blocks everybody. So I decided, to train smart and hard so for now I train 3 days for week, and I play 1 day before weightlifting I play about 45min then I go straight to weightlifting, In this case I have played some bball which I love, I also have tested my vert and I don`t skip workout and I don`t overtrain..... Best decision in my life, besides after 10 more week I can play all the bball I want and my vert will not drop I will do what I love and still have huge vert. So basicaly, I need to drop these 12 weeks and limit my bball for 1 time per week. I hope this helps you, altrough you seem to be a guy who knows a lot stuff about jumping. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep so true. I love playing so much but I know it slows down progress on the vert. So makes it really hard!!!!

      Delete