Monday, September 9, 2013

Road to 40 inch running vert - Week 2 Results

Week 2 of this phase of training towards my goal of a 40 inch running vert went really well. Got in all my workouts again and I'm still doing my stretching/mobility work each day. Starting to become a fan of stretching as I'm noticing improvements in my range of motion and my recovery. It seems like it has been so long since my body felt good (not sore) and had fresh legs. But, that is changing and I like it.

Tested my no-step vert and had a small increase over last week. My best today was 30.4 compared to 30.1 last week. I should be able to beat my PR of 31.1 in the next week or so.

Here's the vid:

I also did the 4 jump test a couple of times on my jump mat today (no video) and my best results were:

.24 (avg ground contact time)
2.99 (explosive leg power)
25.6 (average vertical for the 4 jumps)

This is an interesting test as it measures your explosiveness and reaction time. I will be testing this each week and posting the results here as well. For comparison, I also tested this last week a couple of times and my best results were:

.26
2.74
25.4

So in addition to improving my no-step vertical, I made some progress this week on explosiveness and reaction time too which is good news.

I also started taking creatine a couple of days ago and expect to see my strength go up and also some weight gain. Hopefully though I can make progress on getting leaner at the same time which hasn't been near as easy as I have expected. 

Keep training people! Go get your dreams!

8 comments:

  1. Hey, man.

    I found your blog searching for information about vertical jump trainings. I am 38 years old and I want to dunk again like I did when I was young.

    Congratulations for yours 30 inches on standing jump. Do you can jump more running, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool man! How close are you to dunking right now?

      My running vert is 35-36. Want to get to 40.

      Delete
    2. I can dunk one hand palming the ball, but I am 6'5'' tall with 8'5'' reach. My vertical is a poor 26 inches.
      See it: https://vimeo.com/74111166

      Delete
    3. Hey pretty good jumps there! I definitely think you can go higher if you continue working on your approach. You tend to slow down quite a bit on your last couple of steps which Im sure is costing you some inches. I need to work on that as well.

      Delete
    4. You are completely right, I slow down on last 2-3 steps. I will try to fix it.
      Keep updating your workout.

      Delete
  2. good to see you back in training. I'm going to restart my training after this week. I've done two weeks of new round but I was so busy with preparing for my exams, so I slacked off. I'll definitely be back into it once I'm done with last exam tomorrow, if I pass :)
    good luck with the new trainer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome man! hope you pass that exam so you can get back to it. you were doing really well!

      Delete
    2. thanks, finished the exam today, and I'll probably get my result sometime next week. Now time to play ball, jump train, and golf.
      Hopefully I can reach 40" before thanksgiving or at least dunk the basketball lol

      Delete