Monday, February 18, 2013

Jump Manual 2013 - Week 6 Results

Week 6 of this phase of Jump Manual went pretty well over all.

I did miss my big Saturday workout which sort of bummed me out. We went camping on Friday night and then my son had a basketball game as soon as we got home on Saturday. I then did a 2 hour skill workout with him and the day just got away from me. I wasn't completely lazy though. I did some pushups, situps, and body squats as well as some foam rolling and stretching.

I was really looking forward to basketball this morning as we always have good games on holidays and play for a long time. But, my body actually wasn't feeling that great this morning. I felt sore which made no sense at all. I brought my jump mat to test my no-step vertical like I do each Monday. But, I turned it on and it died. Hopefully its just the batteries and not broken or something.

The good news is instead of doing my no-step vert tests in between games, I made some dunk attempts and got the best dunk I've gotten in a while. Felt so good! Jumping is so unpredictable. I really wasn't feeling that good today and yet I jumped probably higher off the run than I have in a while. My approach felt really strong and fast. I think the extra core work I've been doing this phase of training is helping a lot with my running vertical. Or maybe it was watching the slam dunk contest! Although it was kind of lame. With Gerald Green and James White, it should have been so much better!

Some other good news this week is I got a PR on military press. I really suck at this lift! I finally got 105 lbs for 5 reps. Hopefully I can continue to make improvements there. Strong shoulders are important for the arm swing and helping you jump higher.

Unfortunately, I wasn't filming my dunk attempts as I would love to seen the footage. Will make sure I do that next week. I will leave you with this video which blows my mind. I keep watching it over and over and trying to figure out how in the world this 5'6" high school kid can dunk so easy. He's even dunked a few times in games which is even more insane.



Have a great holiday!


4 comments:

  1. Wing span. I'm 5'8" and a guy I play with is about the same height. We have almost the exact same vertical but he dunks pretty easily and I can't dunk at all. Come to find out he has almost a 6'0" wingspan and I'm just this side of a square with a 5'9" wingspan. Seems like addition of wingspan inches makes dunking exponentially easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. long arms help for sure! i have known many guys who could basically tie their shoes standing up! but, it doesn't look to me like aquille has long arms. my guess is his reach is about 6 inches less than mine so around 87 inches (7 foot 3) and that last dunk in the video would guess he's getting at least 12 inches over the rim. so 132 inches (11 feet) - 87 inches = 45 inch vertical.

      Delete
  2. how's the progress? I just joined 24 hr fitness, so now I can fully restart JM. I just finished the first session on Tuesday, and I'm so sore lol. when you do JM, do you do all the drills listed? or skip a few? I tend to skip one or two drills like side box jumps and lunges, but how does that affect the result? Also, how's your diet during the training?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when i did the jump manual the first time a while back, yes - i did every single exercise in the workouts.

      in terms of diet, i do okay. i have a protein shake in the morning for breakfast after each workout. the biggest thing on my diet is i eat too much junk food.

      good luck with your training!

      Delete