Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Jump Manual 2013 - Week 5 Results

Week 5 for this phase of training using the Jump Manual went extremely well!

I'm really glad I took the previous week off to rest. I admit it was hard to resist the temptation to work out and I was worried about losing some of my gains or slowing down progress. And, there's always a chance when you take time off that 1 week turns into 2 weeks and so on. But, I came back super motivated and was able to push hard with my body feeling fresh again.

I got in all my workouts and stretched every day. Also, my flexibility is finally starting to improve again and believe it is due to changing how long I hold each stretch. Previously, I would hold a position for 10 seconds and repeat 3 times. This past week, I began holding each stretch for 30 seconds and doing just 1 set. Holding each stretch for 30 seconds has allowed me to push just a little further and as a result my range of motion has improved. I still can't quite get my palms to the floor with straight legs but I'm getting much closer.

Yesterday, I tested my no-step vertical again. My legs were feeling great. I was absolutely convinced I would finally break 31". But, I didn't quite get it. I got 30.8" two times which matches my highest no-step jump on the mat from about 6 months ago. So next week has to be the week I finally break 31"! This is the reason tracking is so important as I'm so motivated to do everything I can this week to make sure I get a PR next week. Eating right. Stretching. Really getting after it on my workouts. If I wasn't tracking, there would not be anywhere near the same level of motivation.

Here's the video showing one of my 30.8" jumps.


I'm planning to start making dunk videos again. Maybe later this week. Stay tuned!


6 comments:

  1. Can't wait for those dunk videos. I was going to ask you about that, but looks like I don't have to. Good to see that the week off did you some good. On your week off what did you do, stretch, play ball, off day excercises or just rest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - I'm excited. The jump mat videos are pretty boring I admit. :-)

      On the week off, I played basketball 3 times I think? Stretched almost every day. I should have stretched more. I think for me that makes a really big difference because my flexibility has always been a weakness. I hate stretching but got to do it.

      I still can't believe I didn't get over 31" yesterday. My legs felt so good. Oh well.

      Delete
  2. Strong work! I really hope to be where you are someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, in the jump manual it says to take 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day...have you been following that pretty close?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah for the most part. Maybe not quite 1 gram for each pound of body weight. I have a protein shake pretty much every morning that has around 40 grams of protein so that gives me a good start. Maybe I will watch that more closely

      Delete