Monday, May 28, 2012

Jump Manual at 40 years old - Week 2 Results

Week 2 of this round of vertical jump training using the Jump Manual didn't go so well. I missed 4 workouts out of 6!

And so here comes the excuses! I was out of town for the most of the week. Sleeping in another bed, being on a different time zone, working extra long hours, etc. is training kryptonite for me. For whatever reason, I seem to leave all my discipline and motivation at home when I travel. So, either I've got to stop traveling or I got to be more committed!

Today, I tested my no-step vertical using the Just Jump System that I recently purchased. I didn't have high expectations based on how the week went. But, I did improve from last week's best jump of 27.6 to 28.1 this week. If I could get a half-inch every week for the next 10 weeks, I would gain approximately 5 inches which is exactly where I would like to be (33" for no-step vertical). Gains are typically fast at first and then slow down over time but I'm hoping to beat the odds!

Here's the video from today showing my 28.1 no-step vertical test:


About six months ago, I know my no-step vertical was around 30 or 31 inches. It's a bit frustrating that I'm down from where I was. But, I looked over the NBA combine results and that made me feel much better. For example, John Wall's no-step vertical was only 30" when he tested during the combine (his running vert was 39").

Check out the NBA Combine results from the past several years. If you haven't seen them before, I bet you will be surprised to see that not a single player tested had over a 40" no-step vertical. Guys with a running vertical over 40" is also very rare. In fact, only 48 out of 988 players tested had a running vertical of 40" or more. That is less than 5%!

NBA Combine Results

That's all for now! Hoping to see 29" next week!

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a tough week but hey, you cant complain about gains!! Keep up the work and you will get where you want to be. I threw down 9'6" with one hand and was very close to getting it with 2. Next step is to get the 2 hand down and then move up to a 9'10" rim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome man! Keep going! How's your back feeling?

      Delete
  2. I oficially get released in 2 weeks (thats why I started jumping some) They said vertebrae should be healed. I still have about the same amount of pain I have had for the past 4-5 months in my lower back muscles on each side of my spine. Not sure if they are weak or what is wrong but the doctor said no damage was done to them. My goal is set to get a one had dunk down on a 10'goal by my birthday August 20

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice to see your improving even if it is slowly. also i just thought i would let you know that the max vertical is only like a 2-3 step approach, so its not a running vertical, where i'm sure a lot more players would be able to jump higher. the standing verticals did surprise me though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - good point. the "max vertical" test is just 3 steps and some guys would definitely be able to get higher.

      Delete
  4. I'm in so much pain right now and I think it's mostly due to vertical jump training. Seeing your progress has me believing it'll pay off in the long-run. I'm only going to test my jumps after every three weeks. I'm half-way through the second week. Pain or not, this is fun so far. I'll need at least a 30 inch vertical to come close to dunking, so there's a lot of work ahead of me. I'm hoping to gain 1.5-3 inches after 3 weeks (6 workouts).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your body will adapt pretty quickly and the soreness should go away especially if you ice, foam roll, and stretch. listen to your body though, if you need to rest -- take a day off. overtraining will not help you especially when it comes to vertical jump. that is hard for me too as i like to really push myself. but you have to know the difference between training endurance and training explosiveness. i see you are big into crossfit which is awesome. i'm considering doing crossfit at some point as well. but, i would want to tailor it to be more about explosiveness and strength instead of endurance.

      Delete
  5. I'm definitely conscious of overtraining. I did a short jog at work today and my right ankle twinged. Scarey. I'll have to watch it. Depending on your level of strength and power Crossfit could very well help you in both. If you don't do olympic lifts, they are arguably the best way to improve explosiveness and learning form would be really beneficial. I'm loving Crossfit at the moment, but don't plan on sticking with it forever. I'm nowhere near a cult member like some people become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my 12 year old son is starting crossfit next week for 2 days per week. our highschool basketball coach where i live actually is crossfit certified and offers the training to players. i think it will really help him establish a strong foundation and teach him the proper way to lift. they will be doing mostly bodyweight exercises. super excited to see what progress he can make before next basketball season!

      Delete
  6. when is the time when you should add more weights in your squats..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. are you still doing the jump manual? if so, i would try and add a little more each week as long as your form is still good. if your form breaks down, then definitely should lower the weight. would recommend testing your 1 rep max every 2-3 months to see where you're at.

      Delete
    2. ok thnx.. i will try my 1 rep.. heheh..

      Delete
  7. Started week 2 of jump manual today. I gained half an inch on my no step an inch on my one step and 1 1/2 inches on my running vert. I lost 4 inches on my running and not sure on the others but they went down after a 2 month break for track so the gains right now are probably due to getting back to normal. Anyways my no step vert is 25.5 one step is 27 and running is 27.5 my goal by the end of the 12 weeks is to have a 30 inch no step enough for me to get rim from standstill 33 inch one step so i can grab rim from a little run and 36 inch running so i can put one down. My standing reach is 7 6" so i figured 6 inches above rim may be enough. I look forward to see your progress i will be training about a week behind you but i hope to catch up :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome man! good luck on your training! want to see a dunk video!

      Delete