Friday, September 9, 2011

Back in the groove!

After a couple of weeks of excuses, procrastination, and a serious lack of motivation -- I'm very pleased with how things have gone this week with my Jump Manual and Freak Jump Technique workouts. I'm back to pushing myself and making sure I get the workouts done even when I don't feel like it.

I can feel myself turning a corner and excited and confident that I will reach my goal to throw down a two-hand tomahawk dunk before I turn 40 in January.

As usual, I played hoops 3 times this week and between games I got some video of my dunk practice on a 9'10" rim. I got pretty close on a two-hand dunk and I was finally able to get a toss off the backboard (one hand) dunk to go down. I've been trying that one for a while now and was pretty excited about it as you will see in this week's video.

Thanks for reading and watching!


7 comments:

  1. Congrats on your training results! I'm glad I came across your blog. I'm also over 35 and will start Jump Manual training next week. The video in his post is he best (watched it 100 times). Good to see how excited you were after that last dunk. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man! I've been trying that dunk for a while and that was the first time I got it and felt so good. Can't wait to get back in the gym and try again!

    Good luck with your training! Would love to hear how it goes. Post some videos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not speak English! Then I used the google translator ...
    Hello My name is Felipe, I'm 22 years old and 1.80 tall think "5'11 as far as your country.
    I'm starting to do a program jumps, AIR ALERT, and I found his blog and his videos on Youtube very motivating! and I am very excited to do my training!
    Possso wanted to know if I make a Blog and a YouTube account just like yours, but in a version "Brazilian" in fact in my version! (With other names of course!)
    I think doing this, I can be so motivated in my training as you do!
    Did you mean that your heels are very good and its also are good dunk! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Candyman - How'd your training go last week?

    I didn't miss a day of week 1. My quads, hams & glutes have been on fire since the Strength & Explosion day (and that's including the fact I did 1 less set on each exercise than the manual requires).

    I gotta wake up early tomorrow & start week 2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Ben - training last week was okay, not great. I ended up going out of town again and that always makes things challenging for me.

    Congrats on a great week 1! Keep going man!

    I was sore the first 2-3 weeks after doing the strength & explosion day. The good news is that does go away.

    What are your beginning stats? Standing vertical, one-step vertical, running vertical, etc?

    Look forward to hearing about your results!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not measure my vert before I started training so I measured this morning and here's the result: 18 3/8 inches (1 step jump; I kept one foot planted then swung my back foot forward, planted that one and took off).

    I'll measure it and the of each two week cycle and keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good man!

    I'm recovering from a flu and thus missed my this week's training totally. Will probably proceed with a plyo day on saturday or sunday.

    ReplyDelete