Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Anyone willing to try my "secret" vertical jump exercise?

2 posts in 1 week! Wow!
I had another pretty good dunking day this morning and wanted to share a new video:



These last 2-3 weeks, I've dunked the most consistently I have since I started vertical jump training 3 years ago. So what is the difference? I guess it's impossible to know for sure...but here are my thoughts.
  • I'm training LESS in comparison to what I've been doing up until now. So leads me to believe I may have been over training or like Jacob Hiller likes to say, "under recovering".  I will be the first to admit that it is really HARD for me to do less. I am the guy who will kill himself in the gym and only feel like I got a good workout if I can't walk at the end of it. And, the only reason I cut back on my training was because of limited time. It is not easy to tell when you are over training...I would have told you that I was not over training. So, be very careful about it. 
  • The last 2 weeks, I have iced and stretched almost every night for 30-45 minutes. My flexibility has increased and my body just feels better. Flexibility (and recovery) does make a difference.
  • About 3 months ago, I started lifting upper body which I had kind of neglected for the most part until recently in terms of my vertical jump training during these last 3 years. My upper body strength has really improved and I'm very close to getting a PR on bench press. I'm also getting pretty close to being able to do a muscle-up on a bar which will be almost as cool as dunking. So why would upper body help my jumping? Arm swing? Or maybe just less fat? Jumping is an overall body strength exercise...so don't neglect or overlook the importance of upper body strength. 
  • I also started doing an exercise I used to do back when I was 29 years old and was jumping the highest of my life. I don't know if you can call it a "secret" exercise but I don't know anyone else who does this exercise (the way I do it) and it was something I made up myself. What I can say for sure...is I was doing this exercise when I jumped the highest of my life (age 29) and I started doing it again a couple of months ago and I'm jumping really well right now. Coincidence?
In fact...I'd really like to know if there is something "special" to this exercise. If anyone reading this would be willing to try a new exercise 3 times a week for 3 weeks and share with me their results, I will tell you exactly what it is and how to do it. I'm dying to know if it will help anyone else. The exercise can be done at the end of a workout and will take less than 5 minutes.

If you are willing to try it, send me an email (andy @ kalunaproductions.com) or send me a message on FB (www.facebook.com/andy.nicholson.169). The only thing I ask in return is for you to tell me if it helped you jump higher!

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the insights as to why the jumping has been going well lately. If only our bodies could tell us what's working and what isn't, right? It'd be so much easier. Anyway, I too battle the temptation to overtrain/under-recover. Keep up the great work ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes, please hip us to the secret exercise ...

      Delete
    2. Thanks man! Yes, I think over-training / under recovery is one of the most difficult things to figure out. And each person is probably different so it's not like you can say...X means you are over training. Just because you have a bad jumping day doesn't mean you are overtraining. You might be...or you might have not warmed up properly or you didn't get enough sleep or a million other reasons.

      I will say that until the last few months I was ALWAYS sore. Like I never ever felt 100%. And, that I think should have been a sign. I also think there is a difference between Volume and Recovery. I am still working out the same number of days (6 days per week)...but it's the volume of training that I have reduced.

      Sorry for the long reply...but this is a very interesting topic!

      Delete
    3. "ALWAYS sore. Like I never ever felt 100%..." <<< This is me! Ha ha. I always wake up and ask myself whether I'm recovered (un-sore) enough to get after it (train/dunk) that day ... I'm the king of forcing the issue and getting out there when I should prob be resting. Yes, fascinating topic, particularly the mental game we play ...

      Delete
    4. Yep, we've been told and believe, "No pain....no gain!" While that is true, it makes it really easy to go overboard!

      Delete
  2. I'm interested. I stopped my routine about 2 months ago. Just playing golf during summer and other personal issue, but I can't get my mind off of wanting to dunk. So, if your 'secret' exercise gives me what I need, I'll take it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey...do me a favor and email me andy @ kalunaproductions.com or send me a message on FB (www.facebook.com/andy.nicholson.169) and then I'll send you the link to the video.

      I'm really curious if this exercise makes a difference for anyone else, so I only want to share it with those who are willing to try it. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. ya what is the secret haha i wanted to know im only 5'6''

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey...do me a favor and email me andy @ kalunaproductions.com or send me a message on FB (www.facebook.com/andy.nicholson.169) and then I'll send you the link to the video.

      I'm really curious if this exercise makes a difference for anyone else, so I only want to share it with those who are willing to try it. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I'll do it. This way, you'll know if can work for another old guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks guys! i will film myself doing this exercise either tonight or tomorrow morning.

    do me a favor and either send me a message on facebook (
    www.facebook.com/andy.nicholson.169) or or you can email me andy @ kalunaproductions.com and i will get you the link to the video.

    for this little experiment, i prefer to share this with a small group and just see over the next few weeks if this exercise helps anyone the way it has seemed to help me.

    thanks!
    andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good work! You're always a motivator for us older guys (30+). I'd like to know your secret as well!

      Delete
    2. Hey...do me a favor and email me andy @ kalunaproductions.com or send me a message on FB (www.facebook.com/andy.nicholson.169) and then I'll send you the link to the video.

      I'm really curious if this exercise makes a difference for anyone else, so I only want to share it with those who are willing to try it. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Hey I also want to download your vertical jump workout videos, these are amazing and I will definitely use them. Could you send me the link to download these great videos?

    ReplyDelete