Monday, December 2, 2013

Road to 40 inch running vert - Week 11 Results

Last Monday, I was feeling really stiff and sore and had a horrible jumping day. My highest no-step vert that day was a 29.9 which is about 2 inches below my PR. So, on Tuesday I decided to take a rest day. I slept in and skipped the gym. On Tuesday night, I fell asleep checking email at 8:00 pm lying on my bed.

I got up at 6:00 am and headed over to play some hoops. My legs were still a little sore but definitely felt better. After a couple of games, I went for a couple of dunk attempts and was jumping higher than I have in years. I then got the best dunk I've gotten in months and it felt so good. I am almost positive I could have dunked 2 hands that day based on how high I was getting. 

So...my training is working and I'm making gains again. I just wish I got that dunk on video!

I'm hitting it really hard for the next 2 weeks and then I'll be taking 1-2 weeks off which is when I will likely be able to see the full results from my last few months of training. I know I've said this before but I am absolutely sure that I will dunk 2 hands very soon. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and say that it will happen during the next 3 weeks. Before the end of 2013 for sure.

Thanks to all those who are still following this blog and especially those who post comments and ask questions. Hope your having success reaching your goals!

8 comments:

  1. how much are you squatting these days? What exercises gave you most gains? I'm still sticking with the jump manual with heavier weights, but I'm not sure if I'm gaining much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i haven't maxed out forever so don't know where i'm at but have been doing a ton of squats mostly with light weight but trying to be as explosive as possible.

      for 3 weeks or so you may want to try doing squats at 60% of your max but trying to be super explosive. i don't think lifting heavy all the time is the way to go for improving your vertical. i think it makes sense to mix it up a bit from time to time.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tips. I think my muscles are pinching my nerve on my lower left back after squatting 365lbs today :( I will try to do 60% next time once it gets better.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, but I feel stupid not being able to use my strength. I'm sure there are guys who squat much less, and still be able to dunk right now. I wanted to reach 400lbs but it will be useless if I don't know how to use my strength.

      Delete
  2. Hi Candyman,
    Just wanted to lay out a quick question to you,
    I've been training in the gym doing squats for 2 months now and when it came to squatting I was always doing free squats but I'm now considering using a machine instead so that I could work on the explosiveness.
    Do you think sqautting with a machine will work better?
    Also, I saw many people using the jump manual to increase their vertical, can I expect any results like seen here http://www.basketballworkouttips.com/ with this program?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think free squats are more beneficial than using the machine for squats. You have to be really flexible to do a good squat (without the machine) which is key to being athletic as well as avoiding injuries.

      I checked out that website but don't see any results? There is a guy giving his testimonial but I'd sure like to see a video of him dunking.

      Regardless, I am a big fan of the Jump Manual!

      Delete