Monday, January 21, 2013

Jump Manual 2013 - Week 3 Results

Week 3 of this phase of my vertical jump training using the Jump Manual went pretty well. But, not as well as last week.

Each Monday I test my no-step vertical by performing 2 sets of 6 no-step jumps. Today, my best was 30.5" which is .1 less than my best no-step jump last week. Out of the 12 jumps, 7 were over 29 inches (compared to 9 out of 12 last week). And, I had 3 jumps over 30" compared to 4 jumps last week. So my results were very similar to last week -- but down just a bit.

Of course I was hoping to break 31" which should be a new PR. So, I'm just going to have to really get after it and make sure I do that next week!

In trying to understand why I didn't have any gains this week, there are several possible explanations. First, I missed part of one of my workouts (core exercises) and I was too lazy to stretch 3 of the 7 days. Rest may have been a factor due to playing a little more basketball than I usually do and not getting as much sleep. Our 5 year old son was down with the flu this whole week and if you are a parent then you know what that does for getting sleep.

But, the reality is gains take time...so I have to be patient. If I stay consistent, I know this is going to pay off!

Here's my video from today showing my best jump of 30.5". Thanks for reading & watching!



13 comments:

  1. Keep up the great work. I need to get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Izzy! Do it man! I've been checking your blog and haven't seen any posts in a while. :-)

      Delete
  2. You'll get it next week!! Keep it up man. Your an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's the name of of the vertical testing mat that you use? Also, that's good progress that you're making. 41 years-young and setting vertical PR's. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's call the Just Jump Mat System made by probiotics

      http://www.probotics.org/JustJump/JustJump.htm

      haven't hit a PR yet...but I will soon!!! :-)

      Delete
  4. How tall are you again?? If I had a 30" standing vertical, I could jump straight up and get 6" above the rim! Man, that would be sick! What is your standing reach height?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 5'11" and my reach is 7'9" so I'm getting about 3 inches over the rim on my no-step vert currently. I want to be able to jump up and hang on the rim which I should be able to do at around 32-33". would love to be able to dunk from standing vert but that would be like 36" no-step vert which would be insane.

      so your reach is 8 feet if my math is correct?

      Delete
    2. That's it. If I would ever stop eating like a 15 year old I would lose probably 15 lbs, which should equate to at least a few inches.

      Delete
  5. You've mentioned that you feel badly about eating "bad" foods like doughnuts. You shouldn't. I've heard they can be quite good for you :-)

    http://www.runnerspace.com/video.php?video_id=961

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is awesome! i feel much better about eating donuts and about my overall athletic ability...:-)

      here's another reason to eat donuts!
      http://news.menshealth.com/overweight-men-mortality/2013/01/02/

      Delete
  6. Candyman! I dunno if you remember, but i talked about creating a little site awhile ago to keep track of workouts and such. I'd be honored if you tried it out: pislamajama.com. And follow me at pislamajama.com/dj so i can follow your progress. Lemme know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey man! i'd love to test it out. i went to that url though and it wouldn't load for me? can you confirm the website?

      Delete