Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Jump Manual 2013 - Week 2 Results

I had another awesome week of training using the Jump Manual! I got in every single workout (including Freak Jump Technique) and stretched everyday.

Every Monday, I'm doing the "off-day exercises" which among other things include performing 2 sets of 6 no-step jumps. Last week, 5 of my 12 jumps were over 29" with my best jump being 29.7". Yesterday, 9 out of the 12 jumps were over 29" and I had 4 jumps over 30" with my best jump being 30.6". Almost a full inch increase! Now to be fair, I'm still working my way back to where I was so these are not "true gains". But, good news nonetheless. The best jump I've done on the mat is 30.8" about 6 months ago and I expect to beat that next week. I'm pretty confident anything over 31" would be a PR even if you go back to my younger days as my no-step vert has never been that good.

Anyways, here is a short video showing a couple of my jumps. Notice my friend in the background mocking me on the second jump. Lol!


In other good news, I got 210 lbs for 3 reps on bench press. My all time best is 225 lbs for 3 reps when I was 29 years old. I'm on track to beat that fairly soon.

Very excited! Progress feels good!


9 comments:

  1. Nice man. You are making some good progress. Operation tomahawk is in full effect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks man! definitely feeling good right now!

      Delete
  2. Wow! You are doing a lot better than I am. Keep it up! Those are some nice jumps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks man!
      how's your city league team doing? i miss playing so much!

      Delete
  3. Hey Candyman,

    I was looking at some of your old blogs and thought of a couple of questions. I found 2 videos about improving your jumping technique. I thought that on one point they kinda contradicted eachother. I'm not sure if I understood each point right but on the one hand it seemed as if the freak guy said not to exagerrate your last step and it seems that the jump manual guy encourages that. What are your thoughts? Either way I think I can definitely improve things buy making my last 2 steps my quickest. I think I decelerate a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a really good point. I will ask Jacob (jump manual creator) to get clarification. I just watched Michael Jordan's dunk from the free throw line several times and his 2nd to last step (penultimate) is exaggerated and his final step is shorter than the previous step.

      I will let you know what Jacob says...

      Delete
    2. Don't worry. I got it figured out. In that video Jacob said last step but what he meant was the second to last step.

      Delete
  4. can i know whats the Freak Jump Technique?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freak Jump Technique was created by Adam Linkenauger who was a very successful high jumper for Clemson University. Good dunker too. He has tons of videos on youtube if you search.

      The program breaks down jumping and has you do drills that help you improve your technique.

      Here are a couple of videos that give you an idea of the things he teaches you in the program. Pretty good stuff.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC8bDM0gjS8

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLt18n4AE5c

      Delete