Monday, April 18, 2011

Week 1 Jump Manual - Recap

First week of 12 for the Jump Manual is in the books and I’m pleased to report that I was able to complete all the workouts! I’m only a little sore too which is nice. When I originally started this program about 18 months ago prior to my knee injury (not related to Jump Manual), I remember being so sore that I had to take several days off after the first few leg workout days and plyometric days before I could continue the program. Those workouts are really intense! The Jump Manual is really big on recovery which I also agree is extremely important. My body seems to be a little better prepared this time. But, don't get me wrong it was still crazy hard!

The leg workout yesterday especially challenged me. About half way through, the thought came to me that I would never push myself this much without having this program and a commitment to do it. It’s just too easy (at least for me) to show up at the gym, throw some weight around, get a little sweat going, and call it good. If you do the Jump Manual, you will have to push yourself!

One thing I’m doing much better this time is doing all the stretches every day. My buddies mock me because I’m not able to even reach down and touch my toes. So flexibility is a big weakness that I can improve on and should help my jumping ability. In just one week, I’ve already made a ton of progress.

Another thing I’m doing differently this time is using a log book to record my leg workouts so I know how much weight I lifted and the number of reps. If you’re doing the Jump Manual, I’d be happy to send you a copy of what I created. I’m also finding this blog to be motivating as it has given me a greater feeling of accountability. This is out there for the whole world to see (although maybe no one will ever read it) and somehow that makes me want to try a little harder.

I will test my vertical again and post a new video showing where I'm at in a few days. Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. Hi candyman! Im just about to start the jump manual this week and so I've been reading through all your posts. I would love if you could send a log to me so I can monitor my progress.

    davometer@hotmail.com

    Also when it comes to soreness, Im not sure when to rest either. Yesterday I did sprints and shot hoops so my legs are feeling really sore. I start the program on tuesday and was wondering if resting today is enough? Im 24 years old and sorta athletic. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dave,

    That is great! Good luck with your training. Happy to send you the log.

    In terms of soreness, that is a tough one. Make sure you are stretching. Also, highly recommend doing ice and foam rolling. My suggestion in deciding to workout or not is to do your dynamic warm-up and if you are still not feeling good, take the day off from working out. If after warming up, you feel good --- go for it! Some of my best workouts and jumping days have been on those days when I initially felt a little sore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey man, i just started the jump manual for a month! do you mind if you could send me your log? cos' im not sure if i'm pushing myself hard enough! my first workout was really intense and was sore for a week! but subsequent workouts, the soreness kind of disappeared. so I'm not really sure if i pushed myself hard enough! (limshiwei009@hotmail.com)

    btw, rather impressive for a 40 year young dude man! keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cool - thanks man!

      good luck with your training! keep me posted on how your progress. i'll send you the tracking sheet. hope it helps!

      Delete
  4. Hi Candyman,
    I would also love to use your logging technique to track my progress when I start the program next week! Could you please email it to me as well?
    My email is: quanjohny@gmail.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I emailed it to you a few days ago. Let me know if you didn't get it. Good luck!

      Delete