Monday, June 3, 2013

If you want to jump high -- you better be lean!

Just a quick update today. In my last post, I talked about the athletes tested in the NBA combine during the last several years who have a max vertical of at least 38" (a total of 46 athletes). Their average bodfat % is only 6.33%.

This made me wonder about the athletes who have participated in the NBA combine who had the highest bodyfat %. Would these guys have a significantly lower max vertical?

So I crunched some more numbers to find out! The 20 "fattest" athletes to participate in the NBA combine so far (who also tested their vertical jump) have an average bodyfat percentage of 12.4%! So twice as high as the best jumpers! And guess what the average max vertical is for these guys? A very measly 31.8"! Wow!

It boggles my mind with what we know today in terms of training and nutrition that any athlete -- let alone someone with a legitimate shot at the NBA could have a max vertical jump of only 31.8".

So I was already convinced that I've got to get really lean. But, this my friends sealed the deal.

New videos coming soon! I'm making some nice gains right now!

5 comments:

  1. HEY MAN! how is your training going? long time...no vid! aha in relation to this blog you gotta remember alot of the dudes have standing reach's of 8ft5 and above so with that being said a 31 inch vertical would put them very high above the ring...for them dunking on 10ft is like us dunking on a 9ft or 9ft5 ring...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. training is going well! i will post new vids soon.

      yep - i realize that some of these guys are really tall and don't have to jump that high to dunk. but, i'm amazed that so many of them have very average vertical jumps.

      Delete
  2. Hey Man - been continuing to follow you, but last I talked with you I confirmed our bet was still on for elite socks and I had started training with Joel Smith. I've had some good gains and in the last two weeks have started dunking off the drbble 1 handed much easier and off the lob have started two hand dunking. The first few times I did it I hung on the rim - like I deserved it! This was from today and is the first one I got on video - didn't have my phone or camera with me last week. What do you think, legit? Sorry it was with my iphone and in order to get the hoop had to set it at half court.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqt7Em5TcRk&feature=youtu.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you dog! I'm so jealous! Congrats man!

      Joel Smith is a great trainer/coach. But, now I don't like him anymore! Just kidding.

      I'm happy to follow through on our bet. Email me your address and what color you want and I'll get them shipped to you.

      Congrats again!

      BTW, I'm not far behind you though and this just got me more fired up! Confident I will get a nice 2 hander in the next 2-3 weeks.

      Delete
  3. I just turned thirty, am coming off of blowing out my ACL MCL and meniscus in a random accident while landing (basketball). For some wierd reason, I haven't thrown it down yet. My journey started when I went here: http://www.jumphighnow.net I looked at their stuff and increased a few inches in three weeks.

    ReplyDelete